Heritage Centre-A Guide &History of the Church

A GUIDE AND HISTORY of

ST PHILIP & ST JAMES PARISH CHURCH

ALDERLEY EDGE

 

During the opening evening of the Heritage Centre  24th July 2017, Michael Scaife MA(OXON)  launched his book A Guide and History of St Philips & St James parish church.

To celebrate the finish of the spire renovations, Michael, re wrote, updated and enlarged and republished his guide to the parish church.

The chuch was consecrated on 12th January 1853, as the village had grown since the introduction of the railway in May 1842. It was built by public subscription, and the land was provided by the de Traffords with the stipulation there should be no burial ground.

The architect was Joseph Stretch Crowther, a leading church architect in the second half of the 19th century. It is now a grade 2 listed building.

Ex Church Warden, Michael Scaife Guide and History of st Philip & St James Parish Church.

The reprint of the book was funded by Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the funding for the spire renovations.

 

THE BOOK IS AVALIABLE TO PURCHASE FROM THE CHURCH. £5.


Heritage Centre
Webpage icon Heritage Centre -Picture archives.
Webpage icon Heritage Centre- the West End an ideal space to hire.
Webpage icon Heritage Centre -West End, the construction